Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 164: Tell me why, I don’t like Sundays?

Despite being over fifty years on this planet and over four decades away from my childhood, I feel the same on Sunday evenings now, as I did back then: maudlin and melancholy.

It’s Sunday evening, I am an adult, and yet I still feel like I haven’t done my homework for tomorrow, that I’ll get up at six in the morning to do it, will probably sleep in and end up either dreaming up some fantastical excuse or even cribbing off someone else at school.

Sundays were always a day about being dragged off to see a relative that I didn’t want to see, Sundays were about miserableness and I could never understand how the potential and optimism of Friday evening could get to the lows of Sunday night so quickly? Friday nights were fish and chips and The Flintstones; the beginning of the weekend was a “yabba-dabba-doo time” in Bedrock, Sunday evenings were ‘Stars on Sunday’ with Jess Yates, Gracie Fields, Harry Secombe and the “son of man”.

Sunday evening’s saving grace was cheese on toast and a cup of tea, still is and that’s what I’m going to have right now.....it’s “too Sunday evening” to write more.

Day #164 Tip: Know your “comfort sandwich”
This is my “comfort sandwich” and has been, since I was first a homesick child staying with my mother’s parents. It was my Nan’s favourite sandwich and she introduced me to it:

Cheddar cheese
Spring Onions
English mustard

A friend of mine’s is Vegemite, cheese and lettuce, which sounds very good to me. Her partner’s however, is cottage cheese, alfafa sprouts and dates, which makes no sense whatsoever to me.

The comfort sandwich, is a vital tool of the screenwriter, use it when necessary.

What’s yours?

1 comment:

  1. Mine's dad's welsh rarebit, which I now have to look up. But mostly my comfort food isn't a sandwich, it's a baked potato with cheddar cheese and Worcestershire sauce on it. Or eggs in white sauce with cheese on top which then would go in the oven. I think mum used to make that a lot when I was smaller.

    ReplyDelete

Followers