Despite being over fifty years on this planet and over four decades away from my childhood, I feel the same on Sunday evenings now, as I did back then: maudlin and melancholy.
It’s Sunday evening, I am an adult, and yet I still feel like I haven’t done my homework for tomorrow, that I’ll get up at six in the morning to do it, will probably sleep in and end up either dreaming up some fantastical excuse or even cribbing off someone else at school.
Sundays were always a day about being dragged off to see a relative that I didn’t want to see, Sundays were about miserableness and I could never understand how the potential and optimism of Friday evening could get to the lows of Sunday night so quickly? Friday nights were fish and chips and The Flintstones; the beginning of the weekend was a “yabba-dabba-doo time” in Bedrock, Sunday evenings were ‘Stars on Sunday’ with Jess Yates, Gracie Fields, Harry Secombe and the “son of man”.
Sunday evening’s saving grace was cheese on toast and a cup of tea, still is and that’s what I’m going to have right now.....it’s “too Sunday evening” to write more.
Day #164 Tip: Know your “comfort sandwich”
This is my “comfort sandwich” and has been, since I was first a homesick child staying with my mother’s parents. It was my Nan’s favourite sandwich and she introduced me to it:
A friend of mine’s is Vegemite, cheese and lettuce, which sounds very good to me. Her partner’s however, is cottage cheese, alfafa sprouts and dates, which makes no sense whatsoever to me.
The comfort sandwich, is a vital tool of the screenwriter, use it when necessary.
- Day 174: "Every time it rains, it rains pennies fr...
- Day 173: “Come on with the rain, I’ve a smile on m...
- Day 172: Apu
- Day 172: Move over "wolf of Wall Street"
- Day 171: Fidelité
- Day 170: “...I really don’t know life at all....”
- Day 169: Chocks away!
- Day 168: Danse macabre
- Day 167: LA Confidential
- Day 166: What have I done?!
- Day 165: Do not fall back
- Day 164: Tell me why, I don’t like Sundays?
- Day 163: “Who the f**k are you?”
- Day 162: Pearls of wisdom
- Day 161: Favourite Actors #2 - Paul Newman
- Day 160: Favourite Actors #1 - Al Pacino
- Day 159: Cinema Paradisio
- Day 158: The day I met Thelma or Louise
- Day 157: “What does it all mean Corky?”
- Day 156: “Only the dead have seen the end of war”
- Day 155: “Brighten my Northern sky"
- Day 154: “Sometimes there’s so much beauty in the ...
- Day 153: Favourite Actresses No 4 - Shirley Hender...
- Day 152: David, Cate, Michael, Harold, David, Geof...
- Day 151: “I have a perfect cure for a sore throat:...
- Day 150: Favourite Actresses #3 - Emily Watson
- Day 149: “His one regret in life is that he is not...
- Day 148: Favorite Actresses No 2 - Isabelle Hupper...
- Day 147: Speak not words of love to me
- Day 146: A love that dare not.....
- ▼ September (30)